Henderson, Gustav Andreas

Personal Details

First nameGustav
Middle nameAndreas
Place of birthCopenhagen, Denmark
Date of death31/01/1897
Age at death45 years



Cemetery Record

Download the Cemetery Map

LocationWest Central
Grave number75

Died suddenly.

The Western Champion and General Advertiser for the Central-Western Districts Tuesday 9 February 1897
The Death of Mr. Henderson.

CONSIDERABLE surprise was manifested in Longreach on Sunday the 31st ultimo, when a rumor that Mr. G. A. Henderson had died at Muttaburra began to gain credence. No one scarcely believed the report until its appalling truthfulness was made very evident. Acting-Sergeant H. Blyton reports that at 6 a.m. on January 31st, Samuel Clemesha, licensee of the Mount Cornish Hotel, Muttaburra, reported that Mr. Henderson, of Longreach, had just been found dead in his bed. The Acting-Sergeant proceeded to a bedroom at the Mount Cornish Hotel and saw deceased in bed, apparently not long dead. Deceased was clothed in a cotton singlet and a suit of pyjamas, and was covered from his feet to arm pits with the bed quilt. Both arms were outside the quilt. Death appeared to have taken place while deceased was asleep, there being no sign of a struggle. Deceased was lying on his back with arms across his stomach. The Acting-Sergeant stripped and examined the body carefully in the presence of Samuel Clemesha and Constable S. McElhimney. There were no marks of violence on the body, nor any discharge coming from it. The Acting-Sergeant searched the room, but there was nothing unusual about the place. Part of a bottle of fruit salts was on the table, and part of a bottle of lime juice on the floor. There were also two empty bottles on the floor. One smelt of porter, the other of ginger beer. On searching the clothes of deceased, the Acting-Sergeant found chequebook, silver watch, gold albert chain with locket attached, and cash £2 6B. 7d., which he took possession of. From inquiries made the acting sergeant finds that the deceased came to the hotel in a buggy from Longreach on the afternoon of the 28th ult. and became sick, coughing, vomiting, and diarrhoea. Deceased was spoken to about seeing the doctor, when he replied, “It’s only an old complaint of mine, I always cure myself,-I don’t believe in medicine and doctors.” On the evening of the 30th ult. deceased dressed and walked outside to the front of the hotel, and stated he felt all right, but a little weak, and made arrangements to go in Cobb & Co.’s coach the following morning to Mayfield. At about 5.30 am., 31st ult., John Thompson, Cobb & Co.’s driver, went to call deceased and found him dead.
[Source: The Death of Mr. Henderson. (1897, February 9). The Western Champion and General Advertiser for the Central-Western Districts (Barcaldine, Qld.: 1892 – 1922), p. 8. Retrieved November 6, 2013, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article76379861]