Booth, Robert Treneen/Treneer

Personal Details

First nameRobert
Middle nameTreneen/Treneer
Place of birthDover, England
Date of death08/01/1920
Age at death57 years


Son of Charles Booth & Elizabeth Ann Pascoe

Husband of Florence Martha Taylor [27/8/1895] and father of:
Edith Alice – 29/4/1897
Florence Ethel – 12/3/1899
Blanche Mime – 22/2/1901
Robert Charles – 21/5/1904
Rita Clara – 31/3/1914


Business contact year1903
Business categoryHistoric Retail
Cemetery Trustee
Business contact year26 November 1885
RoleRobert Booth was one of the first trustees of the Muttaburra Cemetery Reserve on the 26th November 1885, along with Thomas Cooney and Henry Bennett.

Cemetery Record

Download the Cemetery Map

LocationEast Central
Grave number8
OccupationStore Keeper
Date of funeral08/01/1920

Died from Diabetes

The Western Champion and General Advertiser
for the Central-Western Districts
Saturday 10 January 1920
We were advised by telephone on Thursday morning that Mr. Robert Booth had passed away in Muttaburra the previous night. The late Mr. Booth had been ill about three weeks. He was 58 years of age at the time of his death, and had been 34 years in Muttaburra. He was born in England. The late Mr. Booth had always closely identified himself with public affairs in Muttaburra, and was a leading townsman. He had been for years secretary of the hospital, and was a member of the Jockey Club, and, in fact, had been connected with everything that went for the welfare of the town. There is no doubt Robert Booth will be much missed in Muttaburra. He leaves a son and three daughters to mourn their loss. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon and was largely attended. The tragic death of his daughter at Barcaldine on Monday last no doubt accelerated the end. The cause of death is stated to be diabetes.
[Source: Barcaldine General Budget. (1920, January 10). The Western Champion and General Advertiser for the Central-Western Districts (Barcaldine, Qld. : 1892 – 1922), p. 12. Retrieved September 18, 2013, from]

Morning Bulletin — Tuesday 6 January 1920
BARCALDINE, January 5.
Quite a sensation was created in town this morning when the news gained currency that a terrible domestic tragedy had been enacted, a young married woman, the wife of Hugh Curry, son of Mrs. J. Curry, who at present is seriously ill in the hospital, had been murdered by her husband, who had battered her head in with a hammer and then cut her throat. Hugh Curry is a well-known shearer in these parts. He always appeared to lead a very respectable life and he has a large circle of friends. He was twenty-five years of age. The deceased was a daughter of Mr. Robert Booth, a prominent business man in Muttaburra, and was twenty three years of age.
The couple were married over a year ago, but the marriage, apparently, was an unhappy one. Mr. and Mrs. Curry had lived apart for the last twelve months. On Friday, however, the deceased came over here from Muttaburra and joined her husband at the residence of his mother, where also resided two brothers, a sister, and a sister-in-law. There was apparently nothing wrong until ten o’clock this morning, when Curry’s sister, noticing the deceased sitting very quietly on the verandah, asked her if she was not well. The deceased only nodded her head. She had slept in the same room as her husband the previous night. Shortly after Curry came out and asked for a hammer and nails to fix the bed, which, he said, was shaky. After that the deceased went into the room, where hammering could he heard. Subsequently Curry locked his wife in the room. An exchange of words could be heard as if a row was in progress. The deceased started singing out, and a great noise could be heard as if blows were being struck. Curry’s sister and sister in-law then burst in the window and the deceased was seen to fall. Curry, who was greatly excited, told his sister-in-law that he would do the same to her. The women then made off, Curry chasing them for a distance with the hammer upraised. After that Curry evidently went back to the room and cut his wife’s throat, inflicting a fearful gash. He then disappeared into the bush. The police were searching for him all the morning, but without success. They were out again this afternoon. As no instrument with which Mrs. Curry’s throat was cut could be found, it is considered probable that Curry has taken this with him.
The motive for the crime is unknown at present, but the sergeant of police says that Curry appears to have been unduly jealous of his wife, who was of a jovial disposition. She was a fine stamp of woman.
A post-mortem examination disclosed fully six deep impressions of the hammer head on the deceased’s skull, testifying that great force had been used in delivering the blows, while the throat was cut almost from ear to ear and the windpipe was severed.
The tragedy cast a gloom over the town, as the Curry family, especially the sons, is well-known in these parts, being amongst the oldest and most respected residents. Hugh Curry, the youngest son, is one of the best shearers in the Central west.
[Source: MURDER AT BARCALDINE. (1920, January 6). Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld.: 1878 – 1954), p. 5. Retrieved October 18, 2013, from]

BARCALDINE, January 6.
Hugh Currie, who murdered his wife yesterday morning, after being in the bush all day and having been seen as far out as the Alice River, returned home at half-past five o’clock in the evening, and, in the back yard, cut his throat with a razor. He was taken to the Hospital in a serious condition, and he died there about half-past nine o’clock. Although unconscious when found in the yard, Currie subsequently became conscious and appeared to be quite rational. He answered several questions put to him by Sergeant Regan. He seemed to be quite oblivious as to the morning’s happenings. He said that he had had no quarrel with his wife, who was all right. He had severely gashed himself with the razor.
Mrs. Booth, the mother of the murdered woman, arrived here by motor car yesterday afternoon. Her husband is reported to be seriously ill at Muttaburra.
Currie’s mother is in a similar condition here
[Source: THE BARCALDINE TRAGEDY. (1920, January 7). Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld.: 1878 – 1954), p. 4. Retrieved November 2, 2013, from]